This is a hardy summer salad that you can add any greens to. I opted for a bunch of Arugula from my garden for this salad which lets that spice play nicely as a balance against the sweet beets and orange. Everyone has different method for roasting beets. Use whichever one works for you. I peel the beets first because it is less mess later and I don’t have to wait for the beets to cool to assemble the salad. I always opt for Bulgarian Feta over Greek. Although it is harder to find, I like it for the creaminess that Greek lacks.
3 Beets | Roasted and Diced
1/4 Red Onion | Diced
1 Navel Orange | Diced
Bunch of Arugula | Chopped
1/2 Cup of Bulgarian Feta | Crumbled (Greek/French Feta is OK too)
1) Pre-heat oven 425
2) Peel Beets and trim off ends.
3) Wrap Beets and Tin Foil and place on a baking sheet to avoid drippings in your oven.
4) Roast Beets for 50 minutes (you should be able to pierce easily with knife)
5) While Beets are Roasting, Zest your orange in a measuring cup (You’ll mix your dressing here later)
6) Peel and dice Orange and Red Onion and add to a mixing bowl. (Metal or Glass)
7) Make the Dressing (below)
Orange Balsamic Dressing:
In a glass measuring cup with your Orange Zest, add and whisk the following:
1/8 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 tsp Dry Mustard (Dijon is OK too)
1 tsp Honey
1 tsp Herbes De Provence (Any fresh herbs you like are OK)
Pinch of Salt/No-Salt Lemon Pepper to Taste — Taste once you whisk and adjust flavors to your liking.
8) When Beets are done, carefully unwrap (Watch out for steam)
9) Slice in half on a cutting board and dice the beets
10) Add to bowl with onions and orange and pour the dressing over top
11) Toss with a rubber spatula or metal spoon.
12) Refrigerate to cool-covered.
When you are ready to eat, Chop Arugula then add that and feta cheese to the bowl of beets/onion/orange. Adding the feta can dry out the salad, if that is the case add a little more balsamic and olive oil. You can also just add the Feta after you plate the salad. Enjoy and let us know if you try this!